Thursday 14 November 2019

Zombieland: Double Tap Review


This review is spoiler-free. As I'm late to the party on this one I'm guessing anyone who wanted to see this film already has so I didn't tread extra lightly but I still don't give anything away of the plot.


Let me start by saying that the first Zombieland is a movie that I consider to be the definition of just "fine", certainly not bad, very watchable but not something that connected with me in any huge way. I re-watched it a week or so ago and my opinion hadn't changed; it was enjoyable enough but nothing special. So perhaps it's faint praise to say this but I enjoyed this sequel way more. For starters the film's stars have all gone on to win, or at least be nominated for, multiple awards including Oscars. Naturally they've become better actors in my opinion and this shows here as they perform somewhat effortlessly with the added advantage that they are all visibly having fun whilst still maintaining the reality of the performance. That fun vibe really spreads to the audience in my opinion. It's not just the returning cast either; Zooey Deutch steals the show in a wholly comedic performance, Luke Wilson & Thomas Middleditch appear to fulfill the Bill Murray gag spot in the movie's second act (whilst being nowhere near as gimmicky) and though she's a bit of a deus ex machina Rosario Dawson's likeability shines as well.


There's actually far more story and developing of this world here too. It doesn't get into over complex, deadly serious "Walking Dead" territory but it does explain some things and actually evolve the antagonists in very interesting ways. Likewise time is taken further developing the familial connections of the core group through conflict, resolution and character development. All while maintaining some vastly improved jokes in my opinion and a far more compelling central journey.


Horror-wise this is very much a comedy and while there are a couple of decent zombie kills that's never really the focus or the point. Indeed some potentially horrific moments are played for excitement or laughs. But I think it should be obvious that that's exactly the tone that was aimed for so criticising that would be silly.


The film left me feeling more entertained and engaged than I expected with a few really good laughs and an overall entertainment factor that left me leaving feeling good. The mid-credits scene was a nice cherry on top and could be a favourite part for many viewers but was even unnecessary for me. Unlike the first movie I left the theatre legitimately interested to see more of these characters and their world, having grown to like and root for them. And it further cemented my love of a few things nerdy whilst also leaving me with a definite increased appreciation for The King of rock; Zombieland 2 - thank you very much.

**** (4/5)

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment