Thursday 9 July 2009

Review: Torchwood

Children of Earth, Day 4

SPOILER WARNING: I will be discussing events which occured so it may not make sense until you've seen the episode and if it does it may blow something you would have preferred to experience first hand, which I recommend. Proceed at your own risk.

Yes! Wow, wow, wow. This is what I had been waiting for, a roller coaster of excellence. Too much greatness. Can't recommend it enough.

The Good:
- Nice that Jack had a kind of twisted nobility in his original actions if a bit easy and taking away some darkness, that can be a good thing though.
- I cant single out anyone because literally every actor was great in every scene, Lois stepped up to her purpose briliantly, Ianto's death scene was heartbreaking recalling Owen and Tosh last year and there was uniform excellence, even in the smallest parts (JOhnson and Alice's interplay for example or Nick Brigg's slimy government spin doctor).
- Euros Lyn's direction, still great as it should go without saying by now, I especially noticed the composition of faces in the frame today, kudos.
- The intensely terrifying scene inside the "gas" chamber was sooo unbelievably good, better than ninety per cent of sci-fi horrors, the final hideous reveal of one of the children and what has been done to them was captivatingly horrifying.
- Such a relief to see the team getting their shining hero moments, which made it all the more brilliantly, fantastically shocking when it emerged how futile there efforts were and everything fell spectacularly apart.
- The scenes with the government were greatly acted and shot but more than that were incredibly intelligent and thought provoking, mining the ultimate true horror from our dull, real lives. How many other places would you see tackled issues like fascism, overpopulation, public fear and propaganda, and the terrifying potential natural decline of our world and its resources. Puts the alien into perspective.
- I strongly do suggest that everyone watch this , I can't support it enough.

The Not So Good
- Noooooo!!! Ianto's dead! They can't have seriously kiled off another regular? The stones on these guys. I am too much in shock to comment further.
- That's IT!!!

I could be here for hours singing this parts praises but all I want to say is that it was definitely worth the wait, I am more eagerly awaiting the finale than ever and I will weigh in with my thoughts on that and the series as a whole tomorrow. Until then join me in a silence for the late Ianto Jones and the tolling of bells ringing towards the collapse of civilization and the end of the world...

"On the fifth day we will be at war."

***** 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment