Friday 9 October 2009

The Exorcist 3 - Extremely Belated Review


Apologies all but Mr B and i actually watched this at my place almost 2 weeks ago I think, illness, work, and other life complications have eaten my time but indulge me if you will as I randomly attempt to splurge some coherent thoughts about this, a film which regular readers will know Mr B loves, and initiated a quest for amongst me and my family.
The picture opens frankly slowly, there are some good but cliched pieces of visual creepy imagery, usually harking back to the stair tumble from the first Exorcist film (our first hint of how important that will be and one of very few early references to the earlier picture). Slight visual clues and tricks appear which are a bit confusing and jarring (at least for me), an atmosphere is created but non-fans or those slow on the filmic uptake may find it a tad frustrating. More criminal still is the lack of any real horror. Sure there are murders but at least two occur off screen and more is implied than shown, a shame for me but I know this is part of the charm for my esteemed colleague and I can see how that might be so even though I don't agree and was less forgiving of this.
As things progress we end up almost in a straight police procedural for a while. Maybe it's necessary exposition, perhaps it's giving the actors some meaty stuff to play against outside a genre that may be seen as less worthy, whatever the case I found this to be the weakest part of the movie. Again though by comparison my viewing buddy was loving the set up and mood and even noticing things like little subtle shapes in the shadows and other eerie moments which were lost on me (I'm still not convinced these were intentional, at least in the one example he pointed out to me).
Eventually we end up in the cell of the man claiming to be the Gemini killer (who was killed via execution years ago around the end of Regan's possession ordeal) but who looks, to our protagonist, exactly like The Exorcist's Father Damian Karras. This is where the film earns its status for me (and a visibly awed and transfixed Mr B). This first scene in that cell has since become one of my favourite in the genre, we have detailed horror dialogue and descriptions, excellent creepy dialogue and even two actors playing the same part which really shouldn't work but it's amazing how well it does and how completely captivated we are by the performances that we go with it. The two actors playing this unfortunate character deserve much kudos, (including reliable genre veteran and legend Brad Dourif) as well as our lead.
As the plot goes much deeper into horror territory things vastly improve. We get a brilliantly realised, visually stylish surreal dream scene. There is much exploration of past events and lots is tied up. When we get to the obvious ending (the green-faced possession) which should seem trite and forced the imagery and depictions become truly memorable, disturbing and jarring but completely original, if horrific in the best, most thoughtful way. The final depiction of hell is one of the most powerful film images and will stay with you for a while.
Overall a really slow burner which only kicks off half way through then gets excellent just as it finishes but with some great plotting (if over complicated), a few brilliant moments (look out for a crazy old lady ceiling walk), three top notch actors and one of the best endings I've seen in a while, I still can't see why Mr B raves QUITE so much about it as it's a little too plodding and does have flaws but still a very good, surprisingly original and hard working sequel.

*** (3/5)

MM

2 comments:

  1. Good piece, though I think it's a little too 'plotting' for your taste, rather than plodding! Nice ceiling walk reference, I can't recall if I mentioned that but it's truly bizzare and is enough to give many nightmares. It makes the psychiatric ward even more menacing.

    ReplyDelete