Friday 30 October 2009

News - Brit Horror

It's with a sense of pride and slightly wary dread that I read of yet another Brit attempt at doing a credible, pseudo-psychological tense horror flick. It will be called "Basement" according to Bloody Disgusting and Screen Daily and will, of course, star Danny Dyer. Says the news article:

"Danny Dyer, who starred in both Jake West's Doghouse and Chris Smith's Severance, will topline the psychological horror Basement for Pinewood Studios, reports Screen Daily. Shooting is already underway. Written and directed by first time feature film-maker Asham Kamboj, it tells the story of five people who inadvertently enter an underground base and run into a nightmare scenario. Other cast members include Kierston Wareing, Lois Winstone (Beyond the Rave), Emily Beecham (28 Weeks Later) and Jimi Mistry."

As I say I can't help but feel a swell of pride at the abundance of films of this genre particularly coming from my homeland recently. I haven't seen a lot of them but I thought Severance was deliciously subversive and quirky, I hear on the other side that Donkey Punch was terrible, at least according to Mr B. I'm curious to see Doghouse and a few others but haven't yet. Can anyone fill me in on what they're honestly like?

MM

No comments:

Post a Comment