Tuesday 22 September 2009

The Blair Witch Project - An Alternative Opinion


Has it really been 10 years since The Blair Witch Project? Seems scary doesn't it? Scarier than anything presented in the film itself. First up let me say that I do not disagree with Mr Butterscotch per se, nor is this piece intended as any kind of rebuttal of his previous post, argument against it or anything like that, merely a different opinion from a different horror fan. Whilst I try and be subjective in my reviews this one will be more about what it means to me as I truly believe it's one of those "Marmite" films which will leave you feeling like either Mr B or myself do. If you haven't seen the film both are legitimate views, but I can't promise which side of the fence you'll be on.
Let me also say that I think The Blair Witch Project is less an example of a great film, more a great marketing campaign. In this respect I'm reminded of The Exorcist, though that at least has a truly disturbing plot idea, great visual effects work, stand-out disgusting and shocking moments and is justifiably iconic (like that one shot in The Blair Witch Project which is shown above). It's this idea that was sold, of the film not being a film at all, which is admittedly ingenious and frustrating to a film geek, but gives the piece it's atmosphere and to an extent as a modern day filmic version of those old ghost stories told around the campfire it's quite good. I'll admit I got suckered in by this and on first watching the film I was too scared to watch past about an hour, expecting that the hype must meant something truly disturbing would hapen or be seen. Imagine my disappointment when I finished the film and just found it boring. I'm not usually one for extreme horror, don't get me wrong, but on rewwatches, divorced from cultural context, this is a poor effort. I commend the film for it's marketing, mostly the reason for it's success I feel, and for pioneering it's shooting style and new sub-genre, as Mr B touched upon. The problem is, divorcing it from this you are left with a piece where directions are already set, with no room for flair, acting that's abysmal except when it's natural and a good tale attempting to hold it all together, and coming off somewhat flimsy.
The ending is genius, like most of the writing itself, with a truly great visual image, but not if you are expecting terror to make you scream. Effective chills, a good little ghost story and a trend setter but unforgivably dull for a horror movie, definitely worth catching for its effect and cultural context but not one you'll necessarily rave too much about. I can never forgive it also for unleashing the truly, indescribably dreadful sequel Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows on the world. Now that one really isn't worth your time. As for the original, for me...

** (2/5)

MM

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, the sequel should have been much more your sort of thing, given that's it's more of a slasher than anything else, with weird psychological overtones thrown in for good measure... But yeah, it's not a great film, but one that horror fans should watch for completeness sake.

    ReplyDelete