Wednesday 16 September 2009

Harper's Island Eps 3 and 4 - Review


A couple of warnings firstly BEWARE OF SPOILERS again, obviously. Secondly these reviews will be getting briefer and maybe ending as the show is really struggling to keep me watching, or caring.

Ep 3 is the reason for this. The whole thing was so tedious and like a bad "Days of Our Lives" type soap (right down to even the killing by measly shotgun) that I couldn't really focus. I'm sure there were elements of "who slept with whom", "who loves their ex", "who is missing the love of their life" which seem important but honestly at this point just tell me the killer and then go play out your vacuous plot lives like you're remaking bleedin' Dynasty, STOP calling yourself or advertising yourself as horror. It's hard to be more specific as that was really all there was to see, consequently I did everything from wash the dishes to play with my phone to avoid watching. I seriously thought of turning the t.v off, but didn't. Still one of the worst episodes of t.v I've forced myself to endure though.

(0/5)

By Ep 4 I was ready to give up, seeing how the show was a failure in the U.S. I remembered reading that the eps are titled after the methods of death so I looked on the programme guide to make sure there was something to see. This ep was entitled "Bang". Irony is alive and well, but I guess a gun doesn't make a feeble farting sound, which would have summed it up better. Still no horror to really speak of outside of that you'd find in extreme daytime soap or drama, even the deaths have become lame. The whole thing was a slight improvement due to the reappearance of Jimmy and his connection to Abby and a whole "Shallow Grave" style plot which is a slight improvement on the who's shagging who stuff. This part also gets points for introducing a supernatural element which, on the back of what has come so far, seems like the most shocking and brave move,... but probably isn't. Could have gained more credence for shocking us by killing off a main player in the tiresome soap at the end, but bottled it. I'm off to go look up the killer online I reckon so I don't have to force myself through 9 more eps of this.

** (2/5)

MM

1 comment:

  1. Out of interest, what exactly was the supernatural element that you allude to in this review?

    ReplyDelete