Sunday 20 September 2009

Harper's Island Wrap-up.

Hi again to the few I'm reliably informed are visiting the site. Well it wasn't unexpected and yes I have finally decided to admit defeat and will not be watching the remaining episodes of Harper's Island. A lot of stuff happens in a life that makes you take stock but in this case basically the thought of slogging on, having given 4 episodes a try, simply depressed me, especially when I thought of the other and better things I haven't done or could be doing. I did actually cave in and read spoilers courtesy of the wikipedia page link I submitted in my preview piece. They merely confirmed what I had already discovered, the show is a soap opera with minor horror trappings. It seems like it might be attempting to be a tv version of Scream with it's slasher and whodunnit elements but clearly this format could not sustain a tv show's length. As such the thing became less horror the more it went along, despite introducing cliches like the psychic little girl and the resurrected villain. In short if you are still enjoying it fair play, I really wanted to as it seemed so brave, but ultimately wasn't what I'd hoped. An intriguing experiment but a failure. Like so much horror tv.

MM

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. We need more horror TV that isn't afraid to actually be horror, rather than namby pamby masses catering crap.

    ReplyDelete